Bermuda Post

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2020

A new Covid-19 death raises the total to 8; number of total cases 121

A new Covid-19 death raises the total to 8; number of total cases 121

There were 153 test results received today and two were positive for COVID-19, so the total of confirmed positive cases is now 121.
There were 153 test results received today and two were positive for COVID-19, so the total of confirmed positive cases is now 121.

A Government spokesperson said, “Today there were 153 test results received by the Ministry of Health; and 2 were positive for COVID-19.

Bermuda now has 121 total confirmed positive cases. Their status is as follows:

There are 47 active cases, of which 40 persons are under active public health monitoring, and 7 persons are hospitalized with 2 of these in critical care.

A total of 66 have now recovered, and The total deceased is 8.

- The average age of all of our confirmed positive cases is 59 and the age range of all of our positive cases is from 18 to 101 years.

- The age of persons hospitalized ranges between 68 and 89 years, and the average age is 78.

- The average age of all deceased cases is 75 and the age range is 57 to 91 years.”

Kim Wilson, the health minister, said she was “deeply saddened” to report another fatality over the weekend. She said that the details of the victim would not be released.

Ms Wilson said she would “immediately” notify the public of any elevation from Bermuda’s present status of local transmission with clusters of the disease.

She added that she was “satisfied” with the level of virus testing being conducted by the Bermuda Hospitals Board on its staff. But she said that protocol would be reviewed if circumstances warranted it.

She said everyone admitted to hospital from April 1 was tested and there were “considerations right now” about extension of testing to include patients in long-term care.

Ms Wilson said the ministry was in talks with care home management teams. She added that the “vast majority” of homes were private enterprises.

Ms Wilson said the homes were “continuously” given help and that the Government had provided personal protective equipment to homes where stocks had run low.

She added: “In some cases, we’ve provided them with nursing care where there has been a shortage.”

Ms Wilson said that results had been slower to come back in recent times as the volume of tests had “increased drastically”.

But she added that the use of electronic equipment was expected to speed up the process.

Ms Wilson also announced the launch of a pilot phone medical service for uninsured and Health Insurance Plan clients, set up with insurance firm Argus.

Wayne Caines, the national security minister, said that members of the public had shown “broad co-operation” with the phase-one regulations, a relaxation from strict shelter-in-place rules.

He added that his team was “monitoring community chatter about the possibility of planned events to commemorate Bermuda Day”.

Commissioner of Police Stephen Corbishley said that the key was “getting used to the regulations”.

Mr Corbishley said there had been “some challenges on the water”, with three parties broken up over the weekend.

The public were reminded that curfews on shore started at 10pm, but that boats must be berthed by 7pm.

Mr Caines added that the shooting of a 33-year-old man in Warwick on Friday was “absolutely the last thing we need”. He said that police had increased patrols in “key locations” after the attack.

Walter Roban, the Deputy Premier, said that a “graduation” from the first to the second of the four phases designed to introduce the island to a “new normal” would be based on several factors.

He explained that these included the number of coronavirus cases, as well as hospital and intensive care unit admissions.

Mr Roban added that compliance with the rules would help the island to move to the next stage of eased restrictions.

He said: “If we do as instructed, and I again thank the Bermuda public, we will be able to move forward.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

Bermuda Post
×